Thursday 13 January 2011

Why I Don't Use Self-Tanner


The scene is 1994: I am 12, and come to understand my adolescent capacity for total ugliness and mockability by other 12-year-olds.  Having quasi-translucent skin in April when I could be wearing shorts doesn’t help.  Wait, who am I kidding—this is Massachusetts, and April is freezing.  But I am still going to wear these damn shorts.

Because I can’t tell the difference between “advertisements” and “bullshit” and “stuff you really need”, I unquestioningly accept that an easily-applied lotion can solve my problems without having to actually go outside and bask hypothermically in the thin sunshine.  

WOW!  This is perfect and has no capacity to go wrong whatsoever because Teen magazine says so!

I happily purchase and apply said tanner, dreaming of the inevitable popularity that will find me the next day at middle school. 



 I wait the appropriate amount of time for the stuff to develop, then check the mirror. 




Unfortunately, I acquire a shade of yellow normally found only in turmeric and egg bagels.  Furthermore, the tanner soaks into my knuckles and knees more heavily than everywhere else and I appear to be rusting away at the joints.

The next day at school, my self-tanning fail is gleefully pointed out to me, and no one asks me for a prom date.  And you can still see my leg veins.



No comments:

Post a Comment